Dentistry For Healthy Sleep: Sleep Apnea Treatment in Beaverton
Deep and restful sleep is the foundational building block of whole-body health.
At Neish Dentistry, we believe in the connection between dental health and sleep quality.
Get the sleep you need to be your best and healthiest self.
Snoring? Headaches when you wake up? Groggy, tired, and irritable all day?
Believe it or not, all of these frustrating health issues may be tied directly to:
- Stability and health of your airway
- Misaligned teeth
- Jaw issues
- Tooth grinding and jaw clenching
At Neish Dentistry, we work with our patients to address the root cause of sleep issues, rather than simply treating the symptoms. Our goal is to help you improve your health and your sleep quality.
Have questions? Call (503) 641-1600.
The most common sleep issues and disorders
Without healthy, deep, and restful sleep, your body can’t recover. Chronic strain on the immune system can make you more susceptible to disease, as well as these common dental health-related sleep disorders:
- Sleep apnea – One of the most common (and most underdiagnosed) conditions today. If you’ve been told you snore, wake up with a dry mouth/headache, or are tired all day, get checked out today. Over time, without treatment sleep apnea can be serious.
- Bruxism – More commonly known as tooth grinding or clenching, bruxism may be caused by stress or misaligned teeth. Headaches, jaw pain, and even worn and fractured teeth may result.
- TMJ & Migraines – Chronic headaches and TMJ pain may be exacerbated by poor sleep that results from a misaligned jaw or crooked teeth.
Our approach to treating sleep issues
- Vitamin D supplements – Proper vitamin D levels are essential for restorative sleep and 75% of Americans are deficient in this vital hormone.
- Non-surgical therapy – Can be used to enlarge under-developed airways
- Evaluating your autonomic nervous system – Can ensure proper balance and integration
Our goal is to identify the root causes of your sleep issues and let you and your body make the changes necessary to create your best version of yourself.
What Our Patients Are Saying…
“I had an amazing appointment today at Neish Dentistry. All staff were exceptionally nice. The office is in great condition, looks newly renovated. All of the equipment and procedures seemed completely professional. I really appreciate the care and hospitality I received from this Dental Office. I look forward to going back.”
Meet Your Dentist
- Graduate of University of Oregon and the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
- Studied restorative dentistry at the world-renowned Kois Center
“Sleep is so important to our bodies. If you’re not sleeping well, you’re not living well.”
“I take great pride in my science-based approach to sleep and airway dentistry. Instead of simply treating symptoms, I look at the body as a set of interconnected systems. Only by treating the systems can you achieve true and lasting health.”
– Dr. Scott R. Neish, DMD
For more than 30 years, Neish Dentistry has been serving the Beaverton community. Our patients trust us when it comes to their health.
You’ll work closely with Dr. Neish to make the best choices for your health. We want you to be confident in the care you receive.
We’re the most comfortable and relaxing dentist office in Beaverton! You’ll love our high-tech and high-comfort experience.
Health Comes First
We value your health above all else. At Neish Dentistry you’ll find a team who’s always looking out for you. You’ll always leave our office smiling!
Address: 1275 SW 158th Ave, Beaverton, OR 97006
Phone: (503) 641-1600
Monday - Thursday: 7AM-4PM
Friday - Sunday: Closed
Schedule Your Appointment Today
We are always accepting new patients.
Schedule your appointment at our Beaverton office today to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions
“How does poor sleep affect my health?”
Modern research indicates that there may be a connection between the incidence of some cancers and not getting enough sleep or not getting enough “quality” sleep. We define quality sleep as the deepest phases of sleep when your body rebuilds and repairs itself, both mentally and physically.
In addition, there are links between poor sleep and increased rates of:
- Diabetes and diabetic complications
- Stroke and heart disease
Believe it or not, chronic lack of sleep can also increase your risk of being involved in a car accident or being injured while at work.
“How can I tell if I have sleep apnea?”
The biggest risk factors for sleep apnea are:
- Being a man over the age of 40
- Being overweight or obese
- Having a large neck
The most common symptoms of sleep apnea are:
- Being told that you snore
- Being tired all day
- Having chronic headaches or dry mouth
- Being irritable and forgetful
“What is TMJ pain?”
TMJ pain is caused by damage to the temporomandibular joint. This joint allows your jaw to hinge open and closed. It is quite sensitive to misalignment and is easily inflamed. TMJ pain can present as tightness or throbbing aches in the corner of the jaw. Often the joint may swell or be tender to the touch as well.
Over 50% of those who suffer from TMJ pain also experience poor sleep quality and psychological stress as a result.
“Do you refer patients to sleep clinicians in Beaverton?”
At Neish Dentistry we work with a team of clinicians that range from Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Myofunctional Therapists, and Trauma Specialists to get to the root cause of the problem. The medical model of care for sleep apnea treatment is with a CPAP or a dental appliance.
“I have a sleep disorder that I think might be connected to my dental health. Do I need a referral to see you?”
A referral is not needed to be seen at Neish Dentistry. We treat dental issues and work with other team members to address non-dental origins to your sleep and breathing problems.